Zoysia grass is popular for homeowners with mild winters or fairways. This is a low-maintenance and warm-season grass option.
What is Zoysia grass?
Zoysia grass is a warm-season turf-grass with a light-green colour. It’s very popular for commercial and home lawns. It can grow in temperatures of 80-95 degrees Fahrenheit, but it will die if temperatures drop below 55 degrees Fahrenheit. It is ideal for areas that have long, warm summers and mild winters.
Zoysia grass is able to withstand cold temperatures and come back to life in spring like other warm-season grasses. Zoysia grass is resistant to drought, part-shade and heavy foot traffic. It has a root system that is stolon-based and outcompetes other weeds.
There are three types of Zoysia Grass
There are three types of zoysia grass:
- Zoysia japonica: This is the most popular species of zoysiagrass.Zoysia japonicaThis grass is also known by the names Korean lawn grass or Japanese lawn grass. It has the highest tolerance for cold and drought. It is also one of the fastest-growing. There are three types: El Toro, Meyer and Zenith. Zenith zoysia can only be purchased as zoysia seeds, not sods or plugs.
- Zoysia Matrella: This species is also known by the name Manila grass, and it has denser leaves that other species. japonica And tenuifolia. Zoysia matrella This maintenance rate is higher than the others.Zoysia japonica. This variety is more resistant to cold and takes longer to grow. There are two types: Zeon or Diamond.
- Zoysia tenuifolia: This is a. Also known as Korean velvetgrass. Zoysia tenuifoliaIt has a fine and soft texture. This grass prefers to grow in mounds and clumps rather than a straight lawn. This grass is less common than the other types, but can be used to ornamentally. The most popular variety is the Emerald zoysia.
How to plant Zoysia grass in Sod
There are many options for planting zoysiagrass. However, sod is the best. For zoysiagrass plugs and sprigs, it can take over a year to fully establish. To grow, they need full sun and constant weeding.
- Choose the best spot to plant.. Zoysia grass thrives in full sun and requires at least six hours of direct sunlight per day to grow. Although established zoysia grass will tolerate some shade, it won’t thrive in areas where there are trees or shrubs.
- Prepare the planting siteYou should remove all stones, grass and weeds. Remove all debris, grass, rocks and existing grass from this area. If the soil is very compacted, you can use a tiller to loosen it and improve its aeration. Use a garden rake to level the soil. Use a garden rake to level your lawn.
- Modify the soil. After you have prepared the site, add 1 inch to the soil surfaceCompostUse organic fertilizer as directed on the package. Perform a soil test to ensure your soil is healthy.The soil pHIt’s about 6.5 with moderate amounts of iron, potassium, and phosphorous.
- Spread your sod.. Active growth will make zoysia grass grow faster.
- Experts recommend that zoysia is planted at temperatures above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. This usually occurs in the late spring or early summer. Each rectangle of Zoysia grass should be rolled out and placed in a brick-like, elongated arrangement.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water. After laying the sod, water your zoysia lawn immediately to ensure soil contact. Seed-to-soil contact allows seed to get water from soil so that it can germinate properly.
- Sow the roots and watch them grow.Sod takes two to three weeks to become firmly rooted. Sod usually takes between two and three weeks to become firmly rooted. During this time, grass is vulnerable and must be cared for. You should water your lawn twice daily while it is growing with one quarter inch of water. It is best not to walk on or tramp it.