Introduction to Care & Maintenance
Innovation Zoysia - Care and Maintenance:
- Give your Innovation a buzz-cut for the first mow of the spring. Keep it mowed between 0.5–1.5
inches for the remainder of spring.
- Fertilize your lawn: Lawnifi Spring Fertilizer Box or Lawnifi Foundation
- Don’t overwater. In the active growing season, Innovation needs about one inch of water per week from natural rainfall or irrigation.
- In the active growing season, Innovation needs about one inch of water per week from natural rainfall or irrigation.
- Apply a broad-spectrum insecticide to prevent spring insects from appearing or to control any current spring insects like hunting billbugs or white grubs.
- Apply a systemic fungicide at a preventive rate to keep disease from taking hold of your lawn.
If you see circular patches of brown or dead grass, do not apply fertilizer until you’ve applied a
systemic fungicide at a curative rate and your grass has recovered.
- Innovation mowing heights during the summer range from about 0.5–1.5 inches. When mowing during the summer, never remove more than 1/3 of the leaf blade at a time.
- Fertilize your lawn: Lawnifi Summer Fertilizer Box or Lawnifi Foundation
- Do not overwater the grass. Innovation only needs about one inch of water weekly. Water for longer periods of time, less frequently and in the early morning hours.
- It is not recommended that you apply an herbicide at this time because when temperatures exceed 85 degrees Fahrenheit, the herbicide will damage the grass.
- Watch out for hunting billbugs, grub worms, mole crickets and spittlebugs. Apply a broadspectrum insecticide to prevent or treat any insects.
- Apply a systemic fungicide if needed.
- During the fall, mowing will occur less often—keeping your Innovation slightly higher will encourage deeper root growth for winter.
- Fertilize your lawn: Lawnifi Fall Fertilizer Box or Lawnifi Foundation
- Water less as temperatures drop—too much water will lead to disease.
- Apply pre-emergent herbicides to control winter weeds. Apply post-emergent herbicides only when weeds are present.
- Check for and control any white grubs. Treat with an insecticide if needed.
- It is recommended you apply a fungicide at preventative rates as this will help the grass enter colder months in a healthier condition. If you see circular patches of brown or dead grass, do not apply fertilizer until you’ve applied a systemic fungicide at a curative rate and your grass has recovered.
Tifway/Tifton 419 Bermuda - Care & Maintenance:
- Watering - apply 1/2 to 1 inch of water in a single application about once per week during hot and dry conditions
- Mowing - for a high quality appearance keep your grass mowed to a height of 1 1/4 to 3 1/4 inch
El Toro Zoysia - Care & Maintenance:
Mow El Toro Zoysia at 2 inch height during the growing season. El Toro Zoysia is an exceptionally dense turf so to make mowing easier mow before the turf reaches 3". Practice grasscycling. Grasscycling is simply leaving grass clippings on your lawn. Glass clippings decompose quickly and can provide up to 25 percent of the lawn's fertilizer needs. If prolonged rain or other factors prevent frequent mowing and clippings are too plentiful to leave on the lawn, they can be collected and used as mulch.
Spring - When grass begins to green up in spring apply a turf-grade high-nitrogen fertilizer, such as 20-4-10, preferably containing a weed preventer such as Barricade. Broadcast fertilizer using a rotary-type spreader following spreading rates recommended on bag.
Summer - In midsummer apply a complete nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium (N-P-K) turf-grade fertilizer such as 28-4-6 or similar. Broadcast fertilizer using a rotary-type spreader following spreading rates recommended on bag.
Fall - In early to mid fall apply a turf-grade Fall Feed/Winterizer, such as 5-5-20, preferably containing a weed preventer such as Barricade. Broadcast fertilizer using a rotary-type spreader following spreading rates recommended on bag.
To maintain a healthy appearance during the hottest months of summer, El Toro Zoysia needs about 1 to 1 1/4 inches of water a week. On sandy soils it often requires more frequent watering, for example, 1/2 inch of water every third day. A light green-grey color and narrowing of leaves indicate that it is time to water. Proper irrigation may reduce pest problems in the summer. NOTE: Always water during the early to late morning hours and never at night. Watering at night may cause fungal development.
Apply a granular preemergence herbicide such as Team 2G in early to mid February to prevent the emergence of spring weeds such as crabgrass. Late spring, summer and applications of preemergence herbicides are also recommended, and as stated above can be applied in combination with a fertilizer containing a weed preventer. To kill weeds that have emerged postemergence herbicides can be applied. Apply postemergence herbicides only when weeds are present and make sure to wait until three weeks after the lawn is green. Be sure the product is labeled for use on Zoysia grass and always be careful to follow mixing and application instructions on product label. Spot treating is recommended.