Everyone loves a quick fix, right? Even when it comes to hard work such as laying sod, we can feel your thoughts about how to do this. You’ll be done in time to enjoy a steak dinner or nine holes of golf.
You might be able to lay new sod over the existing grass. Perhaps you don’t need to lay a brand new lawn. It’s possible to make some patches, then place sod next to the existing grass.
Is it possible to put sod on top of existing grass?
Although it may seem like a great shortcut, this could endanger your grass if it comes in contact with dirt.
Your new sod must be rooted in order to get the most out of the soil’s nutrients and properties. If it has roots, it will grow quicker and be healthier.
The grass layer beneath your new sod will stop it growing and increase the chances of the lawn dying due to lack of nutrients or water.
The grade can also be affected by sodding on top of existing grass. The soil base should be the same level as any other surfaces such as driveways and sidewalks.
It is important to remove old grass before you plant new soil.
Can I sod near existing grass?
A new lawn doesn’t always mean you need one. You may have areas that are dead or damaged.
You can replace damaged areas by sodding near existing grass. You need to plan carefully.
1. Measure the area that needs to be replaced.
2. The amount you should purchase should be about a third. You should ensure you are getting the same type of grass.
3. Remove the dead grass. You can then cut around the dead grass to make a square. The healthy grass should be separated by a 2-inch area.
4. The soil should be loosened around your patch. So roots can grow quickly, the soil must be loose and compacted.
5. Remove any soil that is necessary and allow enough room for your new lawn. Important: Make sure that your new lawn is flush with existing grass.
6. 6.Cut the sod in order to make the area fit.
7. Allow the sod to dry for no more than two weeks.
Do you find that sounds like a lot of work? It is not. If you don’t know the future, it’s difficult to cook a steak dinner and go on a golf trip. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to make it happen.