Zoysia grass is popular for homeowners with mild winters or fairways. This is a low-maintenance and warm-season grass option.
What is Zoysia grass?
Zoysia grass is a warm-season turfgrass with a light-green color. It’s very popular for commercial and home lawns. It can grow in temperatures of 80-95 degrees Fahrenheit, but it will die if temperatures drop below 55 degrees Fahrenheit. It is ideal for areas that have long, warm summers and mild winters.
Zoysia grass is able to withstand cold temperatures and come back to life in spring like other warm-season grasses. Zoysia grass is resistant to drought, part-shade and heavy foot traffic. It has a root system that is stolon-based and outcompetes other weeds.
There are three types of Zoysia Grass
There are three types of zoysia grass:
- Zoysia japonica. This is the most popular zoysiagrass species. Zoysia Japonica This grass is also known by the names Japanese lawn grass or Korean lawn grass. It is extremely resistant to drought and cold. It is also one of the fastest-growing. There are three types: El Toro, Meyer and Zenith. Zenith zoysia can only be purchased as zoysia seeds, not sods or plugs.
- Zoysia Matrella. This species is also known as Manila grass and has denser leaves than the others.japonicaAndtenuifolia.Zoysia matrellaThis is a higher maintenance rate thanZoysia japonica. This variety is less sensitive to cold and takes longer to grow. There are two types: Zeon or Diamond.
- Zoysia tendifolia. Also known as Korean velvetgrass. Zoysia tendifoliaIt is soft and has a fine texture. This grass prefers to grow in mounds and clumps rather than a flat lawn. This grass is less common than the other types, but can be used to ornamentally. The most popular variety is the Emerald zoysia.
How to plant Zoysia grass in Sod
There are many options for planting zoysiagrass. However, sod is the best. For zoysiagrass plugs and sprigs, it can take over a year to fully establish. To grow, they need full sun and constant weeding.
- Choose the best location to plant. Zoysia grass needs six hours of direct sunlight per day to grow. It grows best in full sun. Although established zoysia grass will tolerate some shade, it won’t thrive in areas where there are trees or shrubs.
- Prepare the site for planting Remove all stones, grass and weeds. Remove any grass, rocks, and debris from the area. If the soil is very compacted, you can use a tiller to loosen it and improve its aeration. Use a garden rake to level the soil. Use a garden rake to level your lawn.
- Change the soil. After you have prepared the site, add 1 inch to the soil surface Or with organic fertilizer as directed on the package. You can test your soil for health. It is 6.5 with low levels of iron, potassium, and phosphorus.
- You should spread your sod. Active growth will make zoysia grass grow faster. Experts recommend that zoysia is planted at temperatures above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. This usually occurs in the late spring or early summer. Each rectangle of Zoysia grass should be rolled out and placed in a brick-like, elongated arrangement.
- Water thoroughly After laying the sod, water your zoysia lawn immediately to ensure soil contact. Seed-to-soil contact allows seed to get water from soil so that it can germinate properly.
- Sod must be nurtured until it roots. It takes approximately two to three weeks for the sod to root. Sod usually takes between two and three weeks to become firmly rooted. During this time, grass is vulnerable and must be cared for. You should water your lawn twice daily while it is growing with one quarter inch of water. It is best not to walk on or tramp it.